High blood pressure (hypertension) means that your blood is pumping through your arteries at a higher pressure than normal. If your blood pressure rises and stays high over time, it can damage your body in many ways. High blood pressure can lead to a heart attack, heart failure, stroke, kidney failure, and other health problems.
Symptoms of high blood pressure
High blood pressure does not usually present any symptoms. If fact, most people with high blood pressure feel okay until the point where the high blood pressure has caused serious damage to their body. That is why it is so important to have your blood pressure checked regularly as you get older and to take steps to manage it of it is high.
Causes of high blood pressure
Some of the factors which can contribute to high blood pressure include:
• Hereditary factors
• Being overweight or obese
• Inactivity and lack of exercise
• A diet high in salt (sodium)
• Alcohol intake
• Kidney disease
• Some medications such as the combined contraceptive pill, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, some nasal sprays, cough medicines, eye drops and appetite suppressants.
The effects of high blood pressure are worsened by cigarette smoking, an unhealthy diet, high blood cholesterol and having diabetes.
Managing blood pressure naturally with diet & lifestyle
Around 40% of people can successfully manage their high blood pressure without medication by making some of the following lifestyle changes:
• Losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight
• Eating a healthy diet that is low in salt
• Quitting smoking
• Reducing alcohol intake
• Being more active and exercising regularly
A nutrition consultation can help you manage your high blood pressure by:
• analysing your current eating habits to ensure you are getting the right amounts of the nutrients that can affect your blood pressure
• identifying the hidden sources of salt in your diet
• showing you exactly how much salt you need to be eating to lower your blood pressure
• teaching what to look for when reading food labels to ensure you are making the right choices when grocery shopping
• providing you with interesting and tasty low salt recipes and meal ideas
• giving you easy strategies for reducing your alcohol intake while still allowing you to enjoy having a drink
• helping you lose weight and maintain your weight within the healthy weight range
You can manage your high blood pressure with simple dietary remedies.
Make an appointment for a private nutrition consultation today:
Sydney Essential Health, Woollahra / Bondi Junction: (02) 9389 6955
Eat Smarter Dietitians are located at the Sydney Essental Health clinic in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs and only a quick train or bus ride from the city of Sydney and Sydney CBD. Sydney Essential Health is located in Woollahra just 5 minutes walk from the centre of Bondi Junction and close to Double Bay, Rose Bay, Bellevue Hill, Centennial Park, Edgecliff, Waverley, Point Piper, Vaucluse, Watsons Bay, Bondi, Coogee, Bronte, Tamarama, Clovelly, Maroubra, La Perouse, Little Bay, Randwick, Kingsford, Kensington, Potts Point, Kings Cross, Woolloomooloo, Elizabeth Bay, Paddington, Rushcutters Bay, Darling Point, Double Bay, Darlinghurst, Moore Park and Surry Hills. Click here for information on Sydney buses. Click here for information on Sydney trains.